fbpx

Latest News

The Sky’s the Limit for TGS Aviation Students

Completing a Certificate III in Aviation in Year 10 was an opportunity Toowoomba Grammar School boarder, Tom Knudsen couldn’t pass.

Tom plans to study Agricultural Science at university when he completes Year 12 and was excited to be able to complete this Aviation course before he ‘knuckles down’ for senior studies.

“This Cert III will complement my agricultural studies,” said Tom confidently.

“But it’s a bigger bonus for me because it’s worth six QCE points, so I have something to fall back on if I don’t go as well as I hope with my ATAR studies.”

Not only that, but Tom can head home for the school holidays and adequately assist his family on their property, “Rose Hall” situated one hour west of Chinchilla.

“I’ve learnt how to use drones safely and efficiently so Mum and Dad are excited about that,” said Tom.

“I’d eventually like to be an agricultural pilot, spraying crops and so forth; this will complement the other qualifications I hope to gain and make me more employable.”

Toowoomba Grammar School runs the course in conjunction with the registered training organisation, NSTA Aviation – Specialised Career Solutions. It’s a co-curricular course held on a Tuesday afternoon during Terms 1-4 for boys in Years 10 and 11. This year, nine boys completed the course.

TGS Vocational Education and Training co-ordinator, Mrs Marian Rathie said this qualification prepares students for a role as a Drone Pilot and will provide them with the skills and knowledge to operate commercially. 

“The course allows you to use a Drone either in your own business, working for a company or for a government department,” said Mrs Rathie.

“It’s also an excellent entry point into the Aviation Industry as you learn the same subjects that pilots of manned aircraft in airlines and the military.”

Hamish Walker is another Year 10 student who graduated from the course this year, before going on to complete a Remote Pilot Licence Course (RePL), also through TGS.

“I don’t know what I want to do when I finish school,” said Hamish.

“I thought this course would be good because it gives me extra qualifications and more options for employment when I graduate Year 12.”

Hamish said the course was very worthwhile and relatively easy to complete. He enjoyed flying the different drones and appreciated being able to complete the course without impacting his studies in Years 11 and 12.

Due to the success of the course and its popularity, TGS and NSTA Aviation will hold the Certificate III in Aviation again in 2022. Mrs Rathie is now taking registrations for interested boys who will be in Years 10 or 11 next year.