fbpx

Latest News

“It’s a Special Connection. We Understand Each Other.”

Lachlan ‘Lachie’ Williams gazed into the distance, and a warm grin spread across his face as he reflected on one of his favourite memories at Toowoomba Grammar School.

“You can’t describe the feeling as you run through the tunnel and onto the field,” said the 1st XV rugby player.

“To hear the boys on the Terraces cheer your name, and know they genuinely support you, it’s just something else.”

Lachie never would’ve dreamed of this moment when he first arrived at TGS in 2016. He was a shy Year 7 boarder from a tiny school in Morven, South West Queensland. Now, Lachie is a celebrated leader within the School, the 2021 Boarder Prefect.

“I remember feeling amazed at all the people I could meet. It was a massive change and pretty cool,” said Lachie.

Lachie has loved his time as a boarder, learning responsibility, independence, and tolerance of others. He found that the staff and Housemasters helped him grow into a confident young man.

“I was very shy when I started here,” he grinned.

“I didn’t like talking to people. I wouldn’t be the bloke I am today without the staff here. I’m confident; I can talk to anyone, I can speak in front of an audience.”

Lachie attributes his self-confidence to the deep understanding and respect the boys and staff have for each other.

“It’s a special connection here,” he said.

“Most of the boarders come from an agricultural background, we come to the same School, we understand each other and what we’re going through. You know everyone on a deeper level when you can relate to both their home life and school life.”

Lachie is on the academic ATAR pathway and is finding his final years of study challenging but rewarding. He said the structure the School provided him and other young boarders when they first arrived developed his time management immensely and has helped him at crunch time in his senior studies.

“I really enjoy it. It’s about self-discipline and putting together everything we’ve learnt on both a personal and academic level,” said Lachie.

When he’s not hitting the books, he’s strapping on the boots to play rugby and when he’s not on the field, he’s cheering his mates from the sidelines.

“It’s a special feeling being on the Terraces as a huge group of blue and gold cheering on the team. We’re really like one big family here.”