Situated on a 52 acre campus (20.4 hectares), Toowoomba Grammar School is widely regarded as one of the most picturesque schools in Australia.
The School campus encompasses five major sporting ovals, eight tennis courts, two indoor swimming pools, and (shortly) a new three court indoor sports centre, all combined on one campus and situated only 1500 metres from the Toowoomba CBD.
Click on various parts of the map.
3. BARBOUR OVAL
Used for all sports and named for Mr G.P. Barbour, Headmaster of the School from 1910-35.
1. RECEPTION / ADMINISTRATION
Situated in the heritage listed School House building
2. MILLS OVAL
One of the most picturesque ovals in the country and used for many sports. In the summer months it is the main cricket oval to host 1st XI matches. Named for Mr R.L. Mills, Headmaster of the School from 1948-56.
4. WOODFORD'S CHANGE ROOMS
Built in 1975 to provide sports store rooms and changing rooms. Named for Mr Woodford, caretaker who lived in the old army shed until 1963.
5. OLD BOYS' MEMORIAL OVAL
Widely regarded as the “main” oval on the campus and the venue for many sports. In Term 2 it is the main football oval and in Term 3 it is the main rugby oval to host 1st XV matches. Some games can attract crowds of up to 5,000 spectators.
6. BOYCE & TAYLOR BOARDING HOUSE
The combined Boyce and Taylor Boarding House was opened in January 2016. The building can accommodate 130 boys and also includes four three-bedroom two-bathroom units for Housemasters and Assistant Housemasters.
7. I. GIBSON DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY CENTRE
Built in 1959 and renovated in 2016 to cater for our Industrial Design & Technology, Engineering and Robotics classes.
9. I. GIBSON DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY CENTRE
This Building offers dedicated teaching and learning spaces for Industrial Design & Technology, Engineering and Robotics.
10. MACKINTOSH BOARDING HOUSE
Opened in 2013, boarders in Mackintosh were formerly housed in the heritage listed School House.
11. KENT OVAL
Named for Mr H.R. Kent, Old Boy and Deputy Chairman of the School’s Board of Trustees in the 1960’s.
12. TRUSTEES OVAL
Named in recognition of the voluntary and tireless efforts of members of the School’s Board of Trustees since foundation.
13. J.W.P. HENDERSON ART & DRAMA CENTRE
This building is the central hub of the School's art and drama teaching program.
14. ROBERTS CLASSROOMS
Built in 1971, named for Dr H.E. Roberts, Headmaster of the School, 1936-47.
15. R. FRESHNEY CLASSROOMS
16. L.T. HEENAN SCIENCE LABORATORIES
Built in 1993, named for Mr L.T. Heenan, Headmaster of the School, 1956-61.
17. The W.M. DENT LIBRARY
Completed in 1989 and named for Mr W.M. Dent, Headmaster of the School, 1970-91.
18. ASSEMBLY HALL
Built in 1964
19. BUS SHELTER
20. PURVES CLASSROOMS
Built in 1975 and named for Mr W.A. Purves, Headmaster of the School, 1901-10.
21. BARBOUR CLASSROOMS
Built in 1981 and named for Mr G.P. Barbour, Headmaster of the School, 1910-35.
22. UNIFORM SHOP AND BOOK POOL
23. BAYNES MUSIC CENTRE
Built in 1971 as the School’s Library and named for Mr M.W. Baynes, Old Boy, Trustee, and Chairman of the Board of Trustees, 1957-73. It is now one of a number of venues for music.
24. SCHOOL HOUSE
The original school building, heritage listed and built in 1875/76. Begun in 1875 and completed in 1876, the building was designed by Willoughby Powell in the “Domestic Gothic” style and built by J.W. Garnet for 6,989 pounds. The building has been extended on several occasions. The most recent extension, the East Wing was added in 1946.
The Ground Floor was remodeled in 1976 and again in the 1990s. In the 1970s the First and Second Floors contained the School Hospital and Mackintosh House. This House was named for Mr John Mackintosh, the first Headmaster of the School.
In April 2013 the teaching staff were relocated from the Hugh Rose Buildings to the upper two floors of School House. This followed the construction of the new Mackintosh Boarding House enabling the transfer of the Mackintosh boarders from School House at the end of the 2012 school year.
The Headmaster’s study was relocated to the First Floor during this reconversion and his former study is now the Deputy Headmaster’s office.
Originally built in 1995, a major extension to the building was constructed in 2012.
26. PARENTS' COVER
Built in 1987 and funded by The Parents and Friends of the School 1986-1987.
27. NEW GYMNASIUM
The School's new state-of-the-art sporting facility. Due to be completed in January 2018.
29. TRENERRY GYMNASIUM
Named for the Trenerry Family D F. Trenerry, Hon Old Boy and former Trustee; Dr F. M. Trenerry, Old Boy; Mr D. Trenerry Old Boy and former Trustee, and opened in 1983.
30. CENTENARY DINING HALL
Built in 1975 to honour the Centenary of the Foundation of the School. This is the dining hall for the School’s boarders.
31. MUSEUM AND OLD BOYS' BUILDING
Built in 1924 as a Chemistry Laboratory. Since the 1970s, it has been used as the Sports Room, the Cadet Corps HQ as well as office space for Maintenance and Catering staff. On 31 May 2009, it was officially opened as The Old Boys' Building, School Museum and Archives.
32. BLAIKIE HEALTH CENTRE
Named for Dr. J.M. Blaikie, Chairman of the Board of Trustees (1990-99), and opened in 1998.
33. CRICKET NETS
34. JUNIOR SCHOOL
Stage 1 of the Junior School was constructed in 1996, opening in 1997 with Years 5, 6 and 7. Stage 2 opened in 1998. Year 4 commenced in 2001 and Years 1, 2 and 3 in 2003. The Prep year commenced in 2005. A doubling of the size of the Junior School took place in 2011.
36. STEPHENS HOUSE
Built in 1987 and named for Mr S.G. Stephens, first Secretary to the Board of Trustees (1874-1901) and one of the Founders of the School.
37. GROOM HOUSE
Named for Sir Littleton Groom, one of the School's more distinguished Old Boys.
38. I.T OFFICE
39. CORFE HOUSE
Opened in 2015 the new Corfe building is the dedicated boarding house for boys in years 5, 6 and 7. Behind this building is the original Corfe House building, named for Mr C.C. Corfe, Headmaster of the School 1890-1900.
40. WORKMEN'S SHEDS
41. TENNIS PAVILION
45. OLD HALL
The original Assembly Hall, and still in many respects, the most important and the most significant room in the School. It was restored by the Old Boys' Association in 1973. The School's Honour Boards and Trophies are to be found here.
46. TENNIS COURTS
The School has eight tennis courts on campus. These are also flood-lit for evening use by the boys.
43. HUGH ROSE BUILDING
Built in 2001, and named for Mr H A Rose, Headmaster of the School, 1992-2002.
44. P.B. HAUSER AQUATIC CENTRE
Built in 2010 to replace the original Swimming Pool which was built in 1926.