Latest News

White Ribbon Gift

Toowoomba Grammar School is steeped in tradition and this current generation of boys is adding a new legacy to the long history of the School.

In just its second year, the ‘White Ribbon Gift’ has already become a prestigious race at the Toowoomba Grammar School Track and Field Carnival.

The starting lanes are all marked with ‘white ribbon logos’ and this year’s winner, Year 8 student Tom Bragg, was presented with a new perpetual trophy.

Ten boys lined up for the 100m Sprint Handicap; they were the winners of each 100m age group race (U12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & Open) and the remaining four positions were filled via a selection process.

The students’ passion for the cause was evident in their applications to participate in the ‘Gift’.

From my family to my friends, I have a lot of important women in my life. I have grown up in a time that the possibility of one of these people being hurt by their partners or other males is real. I want to live in a world where I know the women I love are safe and are cared for, a world where everyone is equal and a world that everyone can achieve in. The White Ribbon in my opinion is the first step of creating a world like this and that’s why I am involved in the committee. The events it holds, while being a bit of fun are also the best way the group can achieve its goal and I want to be a part of it. That is why I want to be in the gift.” –Rory Ilic, Year 11.

It is a fun event, but not only is it fun, it raises awareness to stop the violence towards women. There is no place for the violence and the earlier we realize this, there will be a decreasing rate of violence.” – Lachlan Williams, Year 9.

It is disgraceful that men think it right or justify abuse of women, especially significant others in their lives. I wish to combat this way of thinking by supporting the white ribbon cause.” – Sam Dyer, Year 10.

As an all-boys school, TGS is proud to be a White Ribbon School. There are twenty-five Year 11 and 12 boys in the TGS White Ribbon Committee, who proudly volunteer their lunch-time, after-school and weekends to promote White Ribbon and raise awareness for the prevention of Domestic and Family Violence.

White Ribbon is the world’s largest movement of men and boys working to end men’s violence specifically against women and girls, promote gender equality, healthy relationships, and a new vision of masculinity.